Health Care Assistant with Co-Op
Delivery Method: In-class
Start: Winter, Spring and Fall
Duration: 37 weeks (8.5 months)
Practicum: 8 weeks (2 months)
Co-op: 10 weeks (2.5 months)
Credential: HCA Diploma
Health Care Assistants provides support to elderly individuals and help them maintain a level of independence while easing their pain and improving their quality of life. Recognized by: BC Care Aide and Community Health Worker Registry. Employment Outcomes: 100% of Stenberg College Health Care Assistant grads are working in their field of study within 6 months of program completion.
- Proof of Grade 12 graduation or 19 years of age
- Informational Interview
- Completion of a Criminal Record Review consent form under the Criminal Record Review Act
Language Proficiency Requirements:
Proof of meeting English Language Competency Requirements as per the BC Care Aide Registry:
- English 12 or equivalent (for applicants whose first language is English)
- Standardized English language proficiency test score (for applicants whose first language is not English
English Language Competency Requirements as per the BC Care Aide Registry:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Academic or General – test within the last two years: Overall score of 6 with a minimum of 6 in Speaking and Listening and no score lower than 5.5 in Reading and Writing.
- Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test (CLBPT) – test within the last year: Listening 7, Speaking 7, Reading 6 and Writing 6 *Other English assessments are acceptable.
- Orientation Workshop
- Clinical Prerequisite Certifications
- Health 1: Interpersonal Communications
- Health 2: Lifestyle and Choices
- Health Care Assistant: Introduction to Practice
- Health and Healing: Concepts for Practice
- Healing 1: Caring for Individuals Experiencing Common Health Challenges
- Healing 2: Caring for Individuals Experiencing Cognitive or Mental Challenges
- Healing 3: Personal Care and Assistance
- Clinical Placement in Multi-Level and/or Complex Care
- Preceptorship Placement Multi-Level/ Complex Care
- Home Support and/or Assisted Living Practicum
- Cooperative Work Experience I
Red Cross Standard First Aid + CPR Level “C”, FOODSAFE Level 1, Provincial Violence Prevention Training Curriculum, Dementia Care: Fundamental Knowledge, Skills and Competencies for Providing Person Centered Care, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), Taking Ownership in Palliative Care (Pallium Canada), Mental Health Challenges Certificate, Medication Management for Health Care Assistants Certificate, Body Mechanics & Back Safety Certificate, HCAs in Acute Care Settings Certificate
With both an integrated and a final practicum, students are prepared to work in: Hospitals and Community Agencies, Assisted Living Facilities, Home Support Agencies, Adult Care Centers, and private homes. They may also choose to be self-employed, working independently as a personal care attendant.
Stenberg College was originally established in 1990 by Mary Jane Stenberg. And later acquired by The Education Company Inc. (TEC) n 2003.
Stenberg’s flagship campus in Surrey is conveniently located just steps from transit, and the state-of-the-art facility houses classrooms and simulation labs.
Stenberg College is a private college that offers certificate and diploma programs, specializing in healthcare, childcare and business. The main campus is located in Surrey, British Columbia, a suburb of Vancouver and BC’s second largest municipality. Stenberg College aims to support students in getting a head start by offering them the opportunity to receive quality, industry-accredited education to help launch their career in Canada.
All of Stenberg College’s
All of Stenberg College’s career-oriented programs include hands-on practicums, allowing students to apply the knowledge and skills they have learned in class to a career setting. Stenberg College offers graduates pathway options for certain programs to public post-secondary institutions with the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT) or Yorkville University. If students are looking for a rewarding career in health care, technology, or with children, Stenberg can give them the tools and education they need to be successful.
It’s Practical Programs
It’s Practical Programs and Hands-on Learning helps in direct consultation with the professional community, that are targeted at meeting industry demands for certain skill sets, thereby giving graduates the highest possible opportunity for employment and success.
The Stenberg’s staff are supportive and dedicated to help students achieve success and are committed to excellence in education.
The City of Surrey is the largest city by land area and second most populated in Metro Vancouver.
We are a forward-thinking, globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. Our city is one of the fastest growing, culturally diverse cities in Canada.
The climate is typically
The climate is typically inter-coastal Pacific-Northwest: rainy, wet winters, often with heavy rainfall lasting into early spring. Winters are chilly but not frigid, summers are mild and sunny, and autumns are cool and cloudy.